Poseidon Systems has an immediate need for a mechanical engineer for development of the next generation condition monitoring products and services. This position will be based in our Rochester NY location.
The Mechanical Engineer will support company efforts to advance existing designs and develop new product offerings. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in product design, specifically in integrating electronic components in mechanical assemblies in harsh environments. Experience in design of systems for such environments such as industrial monitoring systems, power generation components, on and off-road vehicles sensing systems or aerospace is considered a plus. Experience in design for metallic casting, plastic injection molding (including over-molded assemblies), hydraulic systems, and electromechanical systems will all be useful in the day-to-day tasks for this position.
Responsibilities include but will not be limited to:
- Perform trade studies on various manufacturing techniques, materials, and finishes, to minimize cost and improve part quality and durability.
- Develop product requirement and specification documents.
- Ground up design of new products, components, and assemblies utilizing Solidworks
- Generate drawing packages for quoting using GD&T methods.
- Maintain existing product data such as updating models, revising existing prints, and generating management of change documentation to support all updates.
- Interface with suppliers to optimize designs for cost, lead times, and all elements of the quoting process.
- Create documentation packages for incoming inspection of mechanical, hydraulic, and electronic parts.
- Analyze material non-conformances and issue dispositions as necessary
- Perform structural and thermal analysis on components both during design phase and for failure root cause analysis.
- Support production as needed. Potential examples include, development of work instructions, troubleshooting component supplier issues, and continuously improve part quality through design changes. Additionally, be able and willing to perform end-to-end hand builds of custom, to-spec, systems for customers.
- Build prototypes and test fixtures utilizing in-house machine tools (mill, lathe, etc), and 3rd party suppliers as required.
- Support field service efforts as needed. This includes working at heights, in remote areas, and dirty locations.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology
- 5+ years of experience in some form of product design
- SOLIDWORKS, MATLAB, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- DFM, GD&T, and creation of mechanical prints
- Metrology for incoming inspection (Micrometers, calipers, pin gauges, etc)
- Injection molded plastic design, particularly with over-molded components.
- Mechanical design with magnetic and/or thermal considerations
- Familiarity with design for metal stamping and/or deep drawn parts
- Comfortable using machine tools such as vertical mills, lathes, and related equipment
- LabVIEW for developing test benches and running production line equipment
- Basic structural and thermal FEA
- Hydraulic and/or oil lube system design and/or maintenance experience in these areas